When I first moved here in May, I was so impressed with how much there was to do here in Cheyenne. It seemed like every weekend, one of the local breweries was throwing a street party,or hosting live music, always with food-trucks there to provide some tasty food. (We have three, by the way: Freedom’s Edge, Danielmark’s, and Accomplice, which will be brewing their own soon, in addition to all the other microbrews they already have on tap.) There were open mic nights at the Paramount Café, and Friday night concerts on the Depot Plaza. We could mountain bike all day, and sing karaoke at the Suite all night.
I’ll admit, I was a little nervous about what the winter would bring. I was spoiled for choice in the summer: camping, hiking, biking. Scenic drives were just part of a typical week for me. Would I be trapped inside all winter long? Hunkering down and hiding from the wind?
It’s true, the wind here is pretty fierce, but as far as I can tell, that doesn’t keep Wyoming-ites from getting out and having a little fun. So, I thought I would do a little round-up of some of the great activities that are going on this weekend:
- Learn to Fly: Ballet Wyoming is kicking off its 2017 Season this weekend with performances of Peter Pan on January 20 and 21. This one is going to be big fun for all ages, so head to their website for tickets and details.
- Celebrate Local Storytellers: Insight: Legends will be a night of fast-paced storytelling and music by some of Wyoming’s best storytellers. This collaboration between the Wyoming Humanities Council and the University of Wyoming creative Writing Department will focus on the idea of legends. From myths and parables to Catholic Saints and some of the not so saintly figures of Wyoming’s past, the talks promise to be interesting and engaging, as well as free to the pubic! Saturday, January 21st at the Atlas Theatre
- Shoot some Pool: The Suite Bistro now has pool tables in their downstairs bar! Go check out the new set-up.
- Hear some Tunes: Open mic at the Paramount Café is always a great way to spend your Friday evening. Grab a coffee and settle in for some live local talent. From 7-9pm.
- Enjoy the Great Outdoors. This is basically an every-weekend option here in Cheyenne, depending on how hardcore you are when it comes to winter weather. Obviously, there are plenty of ski resorts nearby if you don’t mind a couple of hours in the car, but there are also some great outdoor activities within a half-hour of our fun little town. I personally like to head out to the Tie City Trailhead in Medicine Bow National Forest for some cross country skiing or snowshoeing. Check out the Medicine Bow Nordic Association’s website for maps and updates on trail grooming, etc. If you have the right sort of vehicle, you could also take a cruise out to Vedauwoo, which looks gorgeous under its blanket of snow. I’ve also heard that Curt Gowdy has excellent ice fishing (though the ice may still be a bit thin this early on) as well as Fat Bike trails once the snow base is thick enough.
What are you up to this weekend?